Parabens in emollients

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
patriciaKT

by patriciaKT on Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 pm

Parabens in emollients

Hello
Can you tell me if any of the emollients that are out there have parabens in them please?

Dr Mark Brewin

by Dr Mark Brewin on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:13 pm

Re: Parabens in emollients

Paraben (or hydroxybenzoate) is a preservative. A lot have manufacturers have been pushed to remove parabens from their products as they are a potential sensitiser or allergen (i.e. produce an allergic reaction in the user). I am not aware of products containing parabens. You may ask the pharmacist at your local chemist.
Dr Mark Brewin
Clinical Scientist - BSc (Hons), MSc, MIPEM, PhD
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brewin.php

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Re: Parabens in emollients

Paraben-containing emollients are generally cosmetic moisturisers. Most medical emollients do not contain parabens. Parabens help to preserve emollients and without preservatives, emollients and other skin care products would quickly become unstable and grow bugs - so parabens are not all bad and lots of people with skin conditions use parabens containing creams with no problems.Perhaps the simplest advice would be to avoid emollient creams and use ointment, which are grease-based and don’t need preservatives, so would not contain parabens. If you need to avoid parabens in emollient creams and gels, you would be best advised to ask a pharmacist for information on the emollient formulation. i hope this helps.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

3 posts