Seborrhoeic dermatitis on the inside of nose

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Daffodilappy

by Daffodilappy on Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Seborrhoeic dermatitis on the inside of nose

I have a history of atopic eczema (everywhere) and seborrheic dermatitis (scalp and to a lesser extent face), both well controlled. However, in the past few years I seem to have developed seborrheic dermatitis up my nose, i.e. on the inside of my nose. The skin/mucosa get tight and sore for a few days and then peel/crust off out of (the inside of) my nose for a few days, so that there is literally dandruff falling out of the inside of my nose. These cycles get closer as time goes on and sometimes it is constant.

On the inside of my nostrils (looking up inside my nose) I can see large roughly oval whitish/yellowish flakes, just like dandruff, as well as larger thin translucent pieces of skin/mucosa that look like sunburn peel. When it flares I feel systemically unwell as well as the local soreness and discomfort. I do have a neurological condition and am aware that seborrheic dermatitis can go along with this. I have an excellent diet. 4 months of zinc supplementation had no effect. I do not regularly use nasal sprays although I occasionally use Beconase for about a week at a time when allergies are bad during the summer. This has no effect on the inner nose dandruff. I do use NeilMed Sinus Rinse fairly regularly for allergic rhinitis. It gives a small bit of relief when my inner nose is very uncomfortable making it a bit easier to breathe, but no real benefit. I’d be grateful for any advice.

Dr Nisith Sheth

by Dr Nisith Sheth on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Seborrhoeic dermatitis on the inside of nose

You might benefit from a topical steroid followed by a calcineurin inhibitor like topical tacrolimus or pimecrolimus- your GP or dermatologist can advise
Dr Nisith Sheth
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _sheth.php

2 posts