UVB Narrowband Treatment

Post your vitiligo related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
The Vitiligo Society

by The Vitiligo Society on Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 pm

UVB Narrowband Treatment

Hi there!

Around 3 years ago, I had UVB Narrowband treatment which helped me repigment around 50% of my natural skin colour. I had the condition incredibly severe, so regaining my natural skin color by such a vast percentage was a miracle. I have recently noticed the development of smaller white patches and fear my Vitiligo will come back. What are the chances this may happen and is there any risk having UVB treatment again in the future?

Thanks,
A question from a member of the society

The Vitiligo Society

by The Vitiligo Society on Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:27 pm

Re: UVB Narrowband Treatment

Narrowband UVB is now the most common type of light treatment for the treatment of Vitiligo and is generally recommended to those who have extensive Vitiligo on the skin.

It uses light of a specific UVB wavelength, which has proved to be to be more effective than using standard UVB.

Everyone reacts differently to this type of treatment. For some it can be an effective treatment, for others it might not work so well.

It is likely, during your consultation; you will be advised that 100 sessions is the recommended amount of treatments. This is likely to take between 12 – 14 months to complete. Narrowband UVB treatment has a 50/50 success rate and there is a chance the Vitiligo may return after the course of treatment has taken place (although can take some time). Having personally had UVB Narrowband treatment, I was advised that I could return to hospital once more, for a further 100 sessions, if I find my Vitiligo returns. However, this may not be the case for everyone and we would suggest consulting your GP or Dermatologist for clarification.

2 posts