Log In Register

Online clinic on arthritis & pain management - Oct 2017

talkhealth > Clinics > Online Clinics Index > Online clinic on arthritis & pain management - Oct 2017 > Pain Management

Pain Management

Moderator: talkhealth

Back ache in France

Postby richardtho on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:18 pm

Hi! I am writing from France. We moved here "definitivement" in June. We now have our cartes vitales but have not yet used the medical services. I am 76 years old, quite active, do a lot of swimming in the river and walking in the mountains. This year There has been a sudden increase in back pain when I walk up a hill. A friend massaged my back and said the muscles were very tight. He suggested that the size of my belly and the weak stomach muscles were causing the stress in my neck and upper back. I have started to do some simple Chi Gung movements , moving the shoulders and the head from left to right and it is helping. Should I see a doctor in France.? We are returning to UK for 3 weeks in December/January so I could leave it till then and see my GP in Reading.
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:39 pm

Re: Back ache in France

Postby Dr Sandeep Bawa on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:15 am

Most Back pain settles within 6-8 weeks.

Unexpected weight loss, night pain, fevers, incontinence are some warning signs that may prompt sooner investigation and treatment.

I hope that helps
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
User avatar
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:10 pm

Re: Back ache in France

Postby Stephen Kelly on Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:58 pm

Whilst I'm sure your friend has the best of intentions, there is no substitute for having a proper assessment and diagnosis. I would suggest that without a significant improvement to your symptoms in the near future, you try to get assessed in France.
Kind regards
Stephen Kelly
Registered Chiropractor (BSc Hons, MSc, DC)
User avatar
Stephen Kelly
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 pm

Re: Back ache in France

Postby Tracy Corbett on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 pm

As Dr Bawa says, most back pain settles within a relatively short period, so if yours isn't easing up, it would be advisable to consult a local GP. A physiotherapist/chiropractor/osteopath might be able to help analyse and treat the cause of the pain.
User avatar
Tracy Corbett
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:19 pm

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests