Long term effects

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:12 pm

Long term effects

I have recently been diagnosed with osteoarthritis. I would like to know the long term effects.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:11 am

Re: Long term effects

Please could you give a bit more information? What joints are involved? Have you been given any indication of a plan of action, i.e. medication, referral to a consultant, referral to a physiotherapist or an exercise group?
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm in the early stages right and I've been advised to take ibuprofen while I’m waiting for my referral to see a consultant rheumatologist. How quickly can this deteriorate? I feel like this gets worse every day.
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

traybeth6

by traybeth6 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:51 am

I'M in the early stages like you, I was asked by the doctor to manage it with ibuprofen, I found a better solution, buy Green Lipped Muscle supplement from amazon, they have done me the world of good, my joints are now less painful and I can get on with my daily life without much trouble. Would recommend this product to anyone suffering with this condition.

rachelcoupe

by rachelcoupe on Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:54 am

I have been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis. Nothing has been put in place yet.

I was wondering if there is anyone else that has been diagnosed with OA but also has restless leg syndrome as I think the two are somehow linked.

I went to the gym for the first time yesterday since the diagnosis and today my knees and legs are aching.

Anyone in a similar position as me?

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition. It will slowly deteriorate over time.

Muscle strengthening will help take pressures off the joint.

If there is associated swelling with the osteoarthritis, joint injections may be appropriate. There are also other drugs available which your Rheumatologist may recommend.

https://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/art ... ritis.aspx
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Exercise can be an effective way of improving the pain associated with Arthritis.
It does not have to be very vigorous to produce benefits. Even gentle stretching or balance exercises can help keep the joints moving, whilst simple walking can dramatically improve fitness and reduce joint pain.

There are three main types of exercise and each has different benefits.

Aerobic exercise improves fitness, stamina and cardiovascular health
Resistance exercises improve muscle strength and help with pain reduction and balance
Flexibility exercises which can reduce stiffness and improve mobility

It doesn’t really matter what type of exercise you do but you should try to find a type of exercise which you enjoy and that you are likely to continue. The best exercise is probably one which improves fitness, muscle strength and flexibility at the same time, but any exercise is better than nothing.

Ideally you should try to do some of all these three types of exercise for the best results.
It is often common to ache post exercise however it is important to learn when and how to exercise.
We call this pacing and it might be an idea not to over do it in the first few months of a new exercise program so that you can allow plenty of recovery or rest. It will also allow you to become familiar with how your body responds to exercise.

If in any doubt, it is best to speak with your GP or other healthcare professional who can advise you
on safe and effective exercises.

Here's a link to some exercises on our website: https://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/livi ... exercises/

7 posts