Shoulder blade pain - remedy?

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
5barblues

by 5barblues on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:07 pm

Shoulder blade pain - remedy?

I've got osteoarthritis in most joints - knees, feet, back, elbows - you name it I've got it.
Most of these are eased with Tramadol (which I only take when absolutely necessary). However, the only area these do not help with, are the shoulder blades.
Without going to something like Zomorph, as I'm loathe to take something that can be addictive, does anybody know of a solution.
I have not consulted my GP yet, as I thought maybe a fellow sufferer could help.

Di Graham

by Di Graham on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Shoulder blade pain - remedy?

I had pain in my left shoulder after keyhole surgery.When I mentioned this to the consultant during a check up he, without hesitation, said that's coming from your neck. Have since been to an osteopath for some GENTLE manipulation which seems to be helping.
Some pain is referred from the spine. I have bone spurs which do this. It's a case of what is arthritis and what is referred. Something you might consider. Hope this helps.

Institute of Osteopathy

by Institute of Osteopathy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:59 pm

Re: Shoulder blade pain - remedy?

The shoulder blades (or scapula) are not a very common area to develop pain directly from arthritis as this tends to be located more in the joints themselves. However, for those that find it difficult to move around as much as they used to, the muscles around the scapula can tense up and this can be very uncomfortable.

Simple stretching, strengthening or postural exercises can often reduce this discomfort considerably, and you should consider gradually becoming more active.

Sometimes it is difficult to know where to start when trying to become more active and the thought can even be quite intimidating. Your GP may have an agreement with a local health centre (the scheme is usually called ‘Exercises on referral’) that will offer you access to subsidised personal trainer sessions to build your confidence. If you need a little more support, manual therapy such as that offered by an osteopath can often be very helpful for this sort of problem. They could also offer advice on your posture and prescribe you some exercises that you could do at home.

To find an osteopath in your area, visit: http://www.iosteopathy.org/find-an-osteopath/

Matthew Rogers
Head of Professional Development | Registered Osteopath

3 posts