Growths on growths

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
polly1963

by polly1963 on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:38 pm

Growths on growths

I have very misshapen hands and my consultant said it is the growths on the joints, caused by my osteoarthritis. Recently, I noticed additional smaller bumps on top of my existing lumps and bumps. I thought they were some kind of warts, but my doctor said they are further growths on the joints and has referred me back to the hospital for further testing and scans. He seems to think this is pretty routine. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, does it affect the use of your hands as so far I haven't noticed any additional difficulties other than a mild increase in pain levelss. Thanks

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am

Re: Growths on growths

Hello,
Many people think of osteoarthritis as a condition where the joints wear out but in fact these bony growths that you describe are the body's attempt to repair small areas of cartilage damage inside the joint. The bony growths as you have found are not harmful and usually don't cause any pain or loss of function but can look unusual. Your GP is right to ask an expert to make sure that there is no other type of arthritis but it sounds as though you don't need to worry. Keep your joints moving, try to follow a healthy diet and don't worry about the future as osteoarthritis does not inevitably progress and does not have to mean future disability.
Good luck,
Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist
Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate London SW1E 6 AE
020 3781 7120 http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

2 posts