Shooting pain down outside edge of right hand

Post your Osteoarthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Di Graham

by Di Graham on Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:35 pm

Shooting pain down outside edge of right hand

Not sure whether this pain is arthritis or not. Have had treatment from hospital physio for stiff right hand/trigger finger of the ring finger (RH) and swelling/pain at base of right thumb.
It's taken a while using hand exercises/cotton arthritis gloves (Dr Arthritis on Amazon) and a cortisone injection for the trigger finger, plus I take Cod Lover oil caps daily, to finally have use of my hand. However, have suddenly developed this shooting pain down the outside edge of my right palm. Not there all the time just comes/goes quickly but leaves a sore feeing for a shorttime.First time I had it was whilst driving (not good). It doesn't seem to be linked to any activity.Had an operation, years ago, for Carpal Tunnel of the right hand but assume the current hand problem is not connected.
Any ideas as to what's causing this pain would be appreciated.

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:31 am

Re: Shooting pain down outside edge of right hand

Hello Di

It doesn't sound likely that it's connected to carpal tunnel syndrome. Pain down the outer edge of the hand could be caused by a number of things, including (but not limited to) your wrist, your elbow or your neck. Are you able to trigger/reproduce the pain by moving your hand, e.g. if you were to hold your elbows bent at your sides and turn your hands palm-up or palm-down, does that cause any symptoms? Have you ever had any neck problems/injuries in the past?
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Re: Shooting pain down outside edge of right hand

hi,

yes agree, u need to be examined in order to identify the source.

have you made an appointment with your GP?
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

3 posts