Knee supports

Post your Rheumatoid Arthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Kaymumstheword

by Kaymumstheword on Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:11 pm

Knee supports

Hi, went to Drs last he said I have arthritis in my knee I asked about some kind of knee support which he said yes it would help but not to wear all the time. My question is what kind of knee support would you recommend for someone who has chunky knees( yes I know losing weight would help) that doesn't roll down and cause more pain?
Many Thanks

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:39 am

Re: Knee supports

Hello,
Your doctor is right. Knee supports may give the knee some comfort but are not a good idea in the long term as they can affect muscle strength and lead to worsening knee stability and pain. Even after knee ligament reconstruction surgery, many knee surgeons do not recommend knee braces for just this reason as it is important for our knees to experience slight side-to-side movements when we walk in order for the muscles around the knee to help stabilise the joint. An elastic-type bandage may give you some comfort but as you mention, they are often difficult to keep in place and a bandage that is too tight can be painful and cause compression of the tissues and itching. It sounds as though you know what you need to do to best help your pain, and that is to get to a healthy weight with a combination of healthy eating and being more active, plus specific exercises to improve the strength in the muscles which surround your knees. Try taking the stairs rather than using the lift as a small step in the right direction - even if it is painful to start with, a small increase in muscle strength can really help reduce knee pain and improve function in the long term. See the Arthritis Action website for some simple knee exercises to get you started.

Wendy
Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist

Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate London SW1E 6AE
020 3781 7120
http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Re: Knee supports

That's correct, a knee brace may help temporarily with pain relief, but can be counter productive in the long run because it can lead to weakened muscles and therefore less stability in your knee.

A compresive/elasticated bandage can be useful for pain relief (tubigrip) if used for short periods.

Arthritis Action's website has some good knee strengthening exercises. Strengthening the muscles around your hip and knee can help with pain by improving your knee control and movement patterns.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

3 posts