Can food choices help?

Post your Rheumatoid Arthritis related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:05 pm

Can food choices help?

On behalf of Margaret:
Please can you tell me if there is anything that will help with the stiffness that I have with this complaint. Would omega 3 help? Why do l get so uncomfortable when I just stand in one place? Does food intolerance have a bearing on arthritis?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:02 pm

Re: Can food choices help?

If you have rheumatoid arthritis and still have joint stiffness in the morning lasting for more than an hour (especially with swelling), your arthritis may need additional medication to control any inflammation. You should speak to your rheumatologist in the first instance. If your arthritis is thought to be under good control, the stiffness could be due to existing damage in the joints causing lack of flexibility. Gentle exercise can help and there is a little evidence that omega 3 fish oils (not liver oils such as cod liver oil) may have some benefit if taken in high enough amounts such as a supplement.
There are many myths around food intolerance but there is no evidence that any foods can make arthritis stiffness better or worse. Eating a generally healthy diet and keeping to a healthy weight are key.

Wendy

Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action and Consultant Rheumatologist
Arthritis Action 56 Buckingham Gate London SW1E 6AE
020 3781 7120 http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

2 posts