severe shoulder and back pain

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:09 pm

severe shoulder and back pain

For about 4 months I have been having serious pains on my back and shoulders. I have been taking painkillers every day to reduce the pain, which has worked. However, when I go to bed the pain is unbearable. Can anyone recommend an extra strong effective pain killer that helps severs back and neck pain please?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Ed Francis Hypnotherapy

by Ed Francis Hypnotherapy on Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:13 pm

Re: severe shoulder and back pain

I would highly recommend alternative options, medications isn't always the way forward.

Up to 70% of pain is skeletal tension and just by learning a few relaxation techniques can help in a big and positive way. Hypnotherapy/mindful techniques are very useful and hypnotherapy can teach pain management.
Of course, check with your GP first and providing they give you the all clear then id suggest looking into a local hypnotherapist. Spend a bit of time searching for the right therapist for you, most offer a free initial consultation so fee free to shop around!

Have you tried an Osteopath?
Ed Francis
Clinical Hypnotherapist - DCH
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... rancis.php

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:05 am

I agree with Ed Francis on alternatives to pain medication.

Have you had an assessment by a physiotherapist/osteopath/chiropracter? Manual therapy, exercises, kinesiotaping and other alternative therapies could be helpful for you.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:57 pm

Thank you for your response Ed and Tracy. I have visited my GP and I'm currently waiting for my referral for an osteopathic consultation. In the meantime I have been doing exercises morning and night to control the pain
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Institute of Osteopathy

by Institute of Osteopathy on Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:29 pm

If you have had back pain for 4 months and it’s not getting any better, it is probably time to consult your GP again, especially if it is getting worse and as it is worse at night when you are resting.

Have you consulted a physiotherapist or osteopath? They can examine you to determine the course of the problem, offer advice on posture, exercises and manual therapy for the pain.

You can get more information about how to manage back pain from: http://www.nrmc.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... k-Book.pdf

If the medication is having no effect at this stage, a stronger pain killer may not be the answer.

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:39 am

Hello,

Chronic pain can be triggered by many factors. The previous advice is spot on in recommending a medical opinion followed by a physical therapy assessment from a registered practitioner.

Gentle exercise, mobility and stretching might help you manage your symptoms. Most Osteopaths and Physiotherapists will be able to advise you in this.

It might be a good idea to keep a diary of what activities of daily life aggravate your symptoms and what activities, such as mobility or stretching, help. This will help any practitioner you consult with in guiding you and help you better manage your day.

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:39 pm

First and foremost you need to be assessed by your GP.

You are describing unexplained back pain for 4 months.

This needs appropriate investigations and follow up.
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

7 posts