Back pain following surgery

Post your questions about pain management for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Back pain following surgery

On behalf of Edward:
I have had a knee replacement which has been perfectly ok.
I have also had an operation on my back where they inserted screws in I believe to be in my fourth vertebrae this was 8 years ago.I get rather a lot of pain I take various pain killers co-codomel,tramadol,paracetamol.
Is there anything else I could try?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am

Re: Back pain following surgery

Hi Edward,

It would be a good idea to initially seek a medical opinion on the source of your back pain. If your Dr
feels it appropriate, an assessment with a manual therapist such as an Osteopath or Physiotherapist could help clarify why you are in pain. They will also be able to offer you appropriate treatment and advice upon mobility, stretching and exercise.

If you have been less active because of your surgery, a gradual increase in activity could help you in the long term management of your pain. It might also be worth exploring other options such as support or community groups.

Arthritis Action offer regional groups and have online advice that you might find useful.

Best of luck

http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

Tracy Corbett

by Tracy Corbett on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:34 pm

Re: Back pain following surgery

Hello Edward
I think you should start with your GP; and, if your GP is happy for you to do so, ask for a referral to a physiotherapist or osteopath. They can assess you to determine whether conservative management could help you, e.g. manual therapy, taping, bracing, posture modification and exercise.
Tracy Corbett
Chartered Physiotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... orbett.php

3 posts