What excercises can I do with Fibro?

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
DeeCov64

by DeeCov64 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:20 pm

What excercises can I do with Fibro?

Hi :D

I am struggling to get an exercise programme going at home. I have Fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis in my hands elbows knees and spine.

What are the best exercises I can try daily to keep mobile and lost weight? I have been left incontinent after failed back surgery so swimming is out now, but I do have a small garden and a little space indoors.

Many Thanks
Dee

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:49 am

Re: What excercises can I do with Fibro?

Hello Dee,
The key to exercising when you have fibromyalgia is to make sure that you set yourself some very low goals at the start so that you can achieve something, however small and then build on these targets very slowly. You will know that people with fibromyalgia often overdo things when they feel a bit better so that they can catch up with life a bit. This is called "boom and bust" and will lead to a period of feeling much worse. Low goals are essential to avoid boom and bust and inevitable failure.
Exercise should be a combination of aerobic exercise to increase your heart rate and resistance exercise to improve muscle strength. You may need some advice from a physiotherapist to get started but see our website for some simple exercises which may help. Even simple stair climbing or slowly increasing your walking distance can be a good start.
Remember VERY low goals to start with and try to do some exercise every day, even if you are feeling less well as gentle exercise can really help.
Good luck.
Dr Wendy Holden
Medical Advisor to Arthritis Action
Arthritis Action
56 Buckingham Gate London SW1E 6AE
020 3781 7120 http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 am

Re: What excercises can I do with Fibro?

Hi Dee,

Gentle exercise, mobility and stretching might help you manage your symptoms. Most Osteopaths and Physiotherapists will be able to advise you in this. It might be worth asking your GP to refer you. Otherwise we offer a network of registered practitioners to members who are experienced in helping people who have such challenges manage their day to day lives.

It might be a good idea to keep a diary of what activities of daily life aggravate your symptoms and what activities, such as mobility or stretching, help. As Wendy has said, it is important not to over do things initially.This will help any practitioner you consult with in guiding you and help you better manage your day.

Best of luck

Arthritis Action

56 Buckingham Gate London SW1E 6AE
020 3781 7120 http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk

3 posts