Osteopenia - help?

Do you have a question related to an arthritis condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with spondylitis, spondylosis, rheumatica, polymyalgia, fibromyalgia or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:38 am

Osteopenia - help?

On behalf of Sandra:
I have been diagnosed with osteopenia and take adcal tablets twice daily. I also have bone density scans but am not really sure what it all means. I am 44 and have had double knee surgery already due to them dislocating and one of my hips is giving me some pain but I am not sure if it is all related. The hospital just do my scans and my gp just gives me pills I'm not sure where to turn can you help?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Dr Sandeep Bawa

by Dr Sandeep Bawa on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:36 pm

Re: Osteopenia - help?

Osteopenia is weakening of the bone. It can lead to Osteoporosis which would then make you at higher risk for sustaining a fracture. That is why you have been put on calcium and vitamin D supplements - to try and stop any deterioration in bone health.

The bone density scans keep an eye on your bone health and if there was significant deterioration, and depending on your medical history, your doctor may put you on stronger mediation.

Hope that helps
Dr Sandeep Bawa
Consultant Rheumatologist - MBChB, MRCP, MSc (Sports Exercise Medicine)
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... p_bawa.php

2 posts