Psoriasis and hair loss

Post your questions about hair loss here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
yims1981

by yims1981 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Psoriasis and hair loss

I have psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis, a few years ago I had pretty bad scalp psoriasis and my hair became very fine and thinned out particularly at the front. The scalp psoriasis cleared up over the last few years (I had topical treatments and light therapy) but my hair remains poor and I'm very self conscious that you can clearly see my scalp through my hair. I'm now on Methotrexate for my psoriatic arthritis, I know it can cause hair loss but in my case I have noticed no further loss. Is there any way to improve my hair or is this likely to be a permanent situation? Anything specific I should be discussing with my GP? Thanks

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Re: Psoriasis and hair loss

Hello there.

Thank you for submitting your query. Inflammatory rashes on the scalp such as psoriasis and eczema usually cause temporary hair loss/shedding in the affected areas, but if the rash is severe and persistent, it can occasionally cause scarring of the hair follicles and permanent hair loss. If the hair loss is continuing despite having cleared your psoriasis there may be another cause for this such as genetic hair loss, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal imbalances etc. It would be worth you seeing your doctor for further assessment and blood tests to investigate the cause for ongoing hairloss.

Best of luck.

Sharon
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts