Sjogren's and Hair Loss

Post your questions about hair loss here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Roxichik

by Roxichik on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Sjogren's and Hair Loss

I have Sjogren's Syndrome and a few other auto immune diseases. Every few years my hair starts to change from the soft blonde to a darker, wiry, feeling hair and then thins to very sad looking hair from the front. I this a known symptom? Is there anything I can do that does work? I have tried all the chemical shampoos and natural 'cures'. Does anyone else have this? It has grown back after a few months each time. It has just started going wiry again this month so I know what is coming. Any help will be most welcome!

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:10 pm

Re: Sjogren's and Hair Loss

Dear Roxichik

Thank you for submitting your query and sharing your case.
Sjogren's disease is a known cause for changes in hair texture - most patients report dry, brittle and frizzy/wiry hair which may be helped by applying oils onto the hair fibres (from mid shaft down to the tips, avoiding the scalp) and by using sulfate free shampoos which are less drying on the hair. I cannot however explain the change in colour.
The cyclical and recurrent hair thinning that you experience, which then recovers sound like possible chronic telogen effluvium. It may be worth seeing your doctor for a set of blood tests to exclude any other cause such as vitamin deficiencies, thyroid disease and hormonal changes which may be contributing to the problem.

Best of luck

Sharon
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts