Hair Loss

Post your questions about hair loss here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
AlisonJane

by AlisonJane on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Hair Loss

Hi

I'm a 51 year old female who has had thinning hair for the last 6 years. It grows but is so thin on my scalp. I do take a lot of medication and have tried every commercial shampoo/thickening lotion/conditioner/thickening spray there is. Unfortunately my finances are extremely tight as I have just been made redundant. It there ANYTHING I can do to help the thickness.

Many thanks

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Re: Hair Loss

Dear Alison,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a question.

Your hair loss may be due to a number of factors. It is possible you are suffering with female pattern hair loss which can affect women as they get older, however you also mention that you take a number of medications which could also be contributing to the issue. I hope you don't mind but i am also making the assumption that you may have some health problems (hence the medications) which can also add to the problem. Dietary deficiencies (e.g. in iron, vitamin B12, and folic acid) and problems with the thyroid gland may also have a role to play.

There are many potential causes of hair thinning and loss and sometimes the cause is multifactorial i.e. there is more than one culprit. I would recommend you consider seeing your GP or request referral to a dermatologist where someone has access to your full medical history and can examine you to assess your hair loss (the pattern of hair loss you have, the site, are other body areas affected, is the scalp healthy, etc). Blood tests can also help to check for nutrient deficiencies.

Commercially, you could consider a trial of Regaine (monoxide) but you mention finances are tight so i don't want you to waste your money on treatments that may not work. I think it is best a doctor properly assesses you and identifies the underlying cause to help you make a decision about what treatment options are available.

I hope that helps and best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts