Hair Loss and Psoriasis

Post your questions about hair loss here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
acjklo45

by acjklo45 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

Hair Loss and Psoriasis

I have been a sufferer of psoriasis for quite a few years now (since 2004) I was recently diagnosed with crohns disease and had to have an emergency operation, i have noticed that since my operation after initially improving my psoriasis has returned much more aggressive and i have also been experiencing a lot of hair loss. I'm super paranoid about it and it takes forever to do my hair in the mornings as i feel i cant cover up the patches that are bare.I don't know what to do.

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Re: Hair Loss and Psoriasis

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your question.

I am sorry to hear you have been unwell with Crohns recently requiring emergency surgery. The physical and emotional stress associated with this may have been a trigger for the flare in psoriasis and indeed hair loss.
Apologies but I am unsure if you mean you have psorisias on the scalp with associated hair loss or if you have developed bald patches on the scalp without psoriasis.
If you have the former you should see your doctor to obtain prescription scalp solutions/gels and shampoos for your psoriasis - usually containing varying combinations of cortisone, salicylic acid, Vitamin D and or coal tar. In the vast majority of cases when the psoriasis clears, the associated hair loss will recover with time.
However if you have the latter (ie bald patches or increased shedding without psoriasis on the scalp) then this is most likely a different form of hair loss and I would advise you see your doctor for further evaluation. In the meantime if the hair is thinned (as opposed to completely bald patches on the scalp) you can try camouflaging these areas with synthetic hair fibres colour matched to your hair eg Nanogen and Topik - these can be purchased over the counter.

Best of luck and I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Best wishes
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts