Fine and frizzy hair and hair loss

Post your questions about hair loss here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jivejunkie

by jivejunkie on Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Fine and frizzy hair and hair loss

I have very fine hair,very thin on the top, lose a lot of it and no matter what products are on the market, they never seem to live up to their claims.

Is there something that I can do to at least make my hair look thicker?

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:21 pm

Re: Fine and frizzy hair and hair loss

Hello thank you for submitting your query.

Thinning of hair on the top is most likely to be genetic hair loss. Topical Minoxidil (Regaine) which can be purchased over the counter has been clinically proven to thicken hair in most people with continued used. The product works by keeping the hair in the growing phase (anagen), meaning that the hair grows thicker and longer with time. It is important to remember that up to 40% of people notice some initial hair shedding when they first start using the product, which then settles. Results will take at least 4 months to be noticeable and it would need to be continued long term. If topical treatments do not help, there are tablets and injection therapies which can be used to treat hair thinning in genetic hair loss and I would advise you see a dermatologist to discuss these options.
As most medical treatments take time to work you could also consider using commercially available synthetic hair fibres such as Topik or Nanogen which are colour matched to your hair and can be very effective in camouflaging the areas of hair thinning and give the illusion of thickening.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Sharon
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

2 posts