Help with my hair

Post your questions about hair loss here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Fluffysmummy

by Fluffysmummy on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:35 am

Help with my hair

Hi there,
I have always had very thin & fine hair, but in the past 10 years, I have noticed it falling out in ever increasing quantity. Enough so, that I now have thin patches all over my head, & the attempted regrowth makes what I do have left, stick out at funny angles.
I do have chronic pain conditions, meaning I need fairly heavy pain meds, just to allow me to move around
Nothing I've tried otc has helped. At all, I'm getting desperate. I hate having hair that looks & feels like a toddler's. Thanks in advance.

Dr Sharon Wong

by Dr Sharon Wong on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:32 pm

Re: Help with my hair

Hello and thank you for your question.

Hair shedding and thinning can potentially be caused by multiple factors, including stress, nutritional deficiencies, hormone imbalances and medications to mention but a few - and it certainly sounds like some of these are relevant to your case. The emotional and physical stress of being intermittently unwell and perhaps some of the tablets you have taken may well have contributed to your worsening hair loss. It is always advisable to have a set of blood tests undertaken by your GP to check for other possible contributory causes of hair loss.
In addition, age-related loss of volume and genetic hair loss (male pattern blading/female patern hair loss) would also need to be taken into account as common causes of progressively thinning hair so I think it would be advisable to see a dermatologist to get a clearer picture of the cause of your hair loss.
In the meantime you could consider starting topical Regaine (minoxidil) which is primarily used for genetic hair loss but works as a thickening product when used long term as it keeps hair in the growing phase, making the hairs grow thicker and longer over time.

I hope this helps,

Best of luck
Dr Sharon Wong
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... n_wong.php

Fluffysmummy

by Fluffysmummy on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Re: Help with my hair

Hi Dr Wong,
Thanks for the reply. As I'm in the UK, access to things like dermatologists, aren't that easy (I also have awful skin, like a teenager's, in the bad way). My Drs seem to be far more concerned about my chronic conditions, rather than the 'vain worries about my skin & hair'. I have looked at minoxodil, but worry about the claim that it'll cause more loss before starting to work. Thanks for the suggestions though.

3 posts