Are PSA numbers/results age related?

If you have questions about prostate cancer or PSA tests please post them here for our experts and charity partners to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Rickyhom

by Rickyhom on Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Are PSA numbers/results age related?

In 2002 my husband first had a PSA test and the result came back as 2.2 - He was then 55 with slow urination which took a long time for the bladder to empty.

Now in 2017 his PSA in 4.7 and was the same the previous 6 months . It has been as high as 5.3 last year but the next test 6 months later was 4.3. He is now 70.

My question is does the PSA number go up as a man gets older and therefore not a sign of inpending cancer?

His last biopsy last year when 18 samples were taken showed nothing untoward. His urination is still slow and can be stop and start. He has never had an infection which I put down to me insisting he takes saw palmetto daily. He rarely gets up in the night and although surgery has been offered for the very enlarged prostate he says he is not ready to have it done!!
Thanks

Robert Cornes

by Robert Cornes on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm

Re: Are PSA numbers/results age related?

PSA does usually increase in value as a man gets older. The level can also sometimes be affected by urine infection, urinary retention, ejaculation (a day or so prior) and even a large non-cancerous prostate.
Rob Cornes
Male Cancer Information Nurse

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/RobCornes.php

2 posts