Best treatment for dry skin after chemo

Post your questions about sensitive skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
niece1964

by niece1964 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:40 pm

Best treatment for dry skin after chemo

I had chemotherapy last year and I now have very dry skin on my feet,elbows and knees I’ve used the normal creams but nothing seems to help have you any advice please

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Re: Best treatment for dry skin after chemo

Dear Niece1964,

Many thanks for your question and i hope you are recovering well following chemotherapy. It is quite common for skin changes to occur following chemotherapy treatments. I am not allowed to discuss any brands or give specific recommendations but I would suggest the following:

1. Go for emollient body washes that are fragrance-free and non-scented to use in the bath or shower
2. Get into the habit of moisturising with a thick cream (rather than lighter gel or lotion) straight after your bath or shower and at least once again later in the day if you find time
3. Look for moisturisers that contain ingredients such as glycerin, dimethicone, lanolin or shea butter - these are occlusive agents that will help create a barrier against further water loss from your skin.

If this fails to help, then please seek advice from your family doctor who is able to thoroughly have a look at your skin.

Best of luck,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts