Sun protection in winter

Post your questions about sensitive skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
wafflegirl

by wafflegirl on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Sun protection in winter

Is is still necessary to use an spf in this dull weather, and if so is it fine to get away with make up that has an spf of 15?

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Sun protection in winter

Dear Wafflegirl,

Thank you for your question! During the winter months (from October to March in the UK), our latitude is so far north that we get relatively less UVB radiation from the sun that can lead to burning. However, it is still ideally good practice to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen of SPF 15-30 throughout the year on exposed sites such as the face. This is particularly so if you are going to be outdoors for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, or are using products that can increase sensitivity to the sun (e.g. retinoids, alpha and beta hydroxy acids found in skincare).

The problem with relying on SPF in make-up is firstly it may only be offering protection against UVB only and not the ageing and damaging UVA rays found in sunlight. Secondly, most people do not apply adequate quantities of product to get the right thickness layer on the skin to offer the protection quoted on the bottle.

Where possible a separate sunscreen is best but using make up with SPF 15 is a better compromise than using nothing at all!

I hope that helps and best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

wafflegirl

by wafflegirl on Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:02 am

Re: Sun protection in winter

Thanks, I'll restock my supplies!

3 posts