Psoriasis in winter

Post your questions about sensitive skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jhgillies

by jhgillies on Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Psoriasis in winter

I have had psoriasis since childhood. It flares up in the winter quite severely. What do you recommend for psoriasis on the scalp? Any other recommendations for treating psoriasis in winter?

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:33 pm

Re: Psoriasis in winter

Dear Jhgillies,

Many thanks for your question. It is very common for inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema to flare up during this time of year.

In terms of simple things:
1. Ensure you are using a hydrating emollient based body wash or shower gel in the bath or shower that is free from fragrances.
2. Get into the habit of moisturising your entire body immediately after your bath or shower.
3. Cover up areas that are exposed to the elements to stop the cold, windy winter air stripping moisture from your skin e.g. get into gloves early, wear a hat
4. Consider using some hair oil based treatments overnight to help loosen scale in the scalp

Then in terms of prescription treatments from your doctor for your scalp I would suggest:
1. Using an ointment to help loosen scalp overnight e.g. Cocois or Sebco ointment a few times a week
2. An effective shampoo such as Capasal - wash your hair twice with this - first wash leave the shampoo on your scalp for 10 mins then rinse; second wash, rinse immediately
3. Steroid scalp lotion designed specifically to reduce inflammation e.g. Elocon scalp lotion

I hope that helps and you get through the winter without too many issues.

Best of luck,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

2 posts