intimate dry skin

Post your questions about sensitive skin here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
peanuckle

by peanuckle on Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:16 pm

intimate dry skin

One of side effects of a medication I'm on, amitriptyline, is dryness. It causes dry mouth, dry nasal passages etc but the biggest problem for me is it causes the vaginal area to be excessively dry. I'm not talking about just during sex, although lubrication is necessary, the actual skin is dry to the point of being extremely itchy. Scratching then damages the skin more and it has become a vicious circle. My GP has checked hormone levels etc and we're certain it's the tablets.

I'm waiting on a consultant's appointment to try to get an alternative tablet but meanwhile, can you suggest a suitable long lasting moisturiser? I've been prescribed one by Aveeno but it needs reapplication on an hourly basis to calm the dryness and itching and that is an issue if I want to have a life away from the bathroom.

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:29 pm

Re: intimate dry skin

I would tend to advise a generic ointment for this area such as emulsifying ointment. Avoid any soaps/feminine washes. If the itching is excessive, talk to your doctor about the use of a topical steroid.

Good luck!
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts