Sun Spots/skin cancer

Post your questions about women's skin problems/conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JustJayne01

by JustJayne01 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm

Sun Spots/skin cancer

I have several small, pink, circles on my skin, they started on my legs and I now have them everywhere. My daughter noticed one on my back which seems to get scaly every so often but when I get her to put moisturiser on it, it seems to stop. But in summer, when I have bare legs, they swell up and go darker, itch quite a bit and I use sun cream/moisturise regularly on everywhere I can reach. But in my younger days I did burn regularly, is it sun damage or should I get them checked out? I have fair, freckled skin and auburn hair.

Dr Emma Wedgeworth

by Dr Emma Wedgeworth on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: Sun Spots/skin cancer

HI there,
I would definitely advise you make an appointment with your GP for a full skin check and likely a referral to a dermatologist.

These sound like actinic keratoses, which are areas of sun damaged skin cells. Sometimes the body will repair these by themselves, but in a few cases, these can go on to develop into certain types of skin cancer. There are a number of different ways to treat these, including freezing the skin with liquid nitrogen, creams and other therapies.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.
Dr Emma Wedgeworth
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... eworth.php

2 posts