Very Dry skin on hands

Post your questions about women's skin problems/conditions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
shanafidalgo

by shanafidalgo on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:28 pm

Very Dry skin on hands

Hi, during my pregnancy i had several cases of rash in which i couldn't stop scratching my skin. It was so difficult after coming from shower and no solution was given by my Gp at the time.

After pregnancy and now 3 years later, my skin is so dry in my hand, that i can't even paint my nails. I have tried emollients, and a bunch of products on the market but still nothing makes it get better.
It's like my hands are literally getting older and dry every day, sometimes my skin opens as well.

I can feel the skin tense and hard.
Any recommendation?

I asked several times my GP to refer me to a Dermatologist but he says he can do it as he sees nothing wrong... And is really visible!

Thanks,

Shana

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: Very Dry skin on hands

Dear Shana,

thank you for your question. I am very sorry to hear about your problem. It sounds like dermatitis. Yopu may want to see your GP again and ask if he/she can prescribe strong steroid ointments as moisturisers may not be sufficient. If it does not help you may want to ask if you can be referred to a dermatologist for consideration of allergy test - patch testing and/or stronger treatment like toctino medicine. The latter would require close monitoring with blood tests and pregnancy prevention programme if a patient is at risk of becoming pregnant.

I hope this would help.

With best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
Harley Street Dermatology Offices, Nuffield Health, Spire and BMI Hospitals, London, Cambridge, Bedford and Leicester

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts