Mouth Allergies

If you have an allergy question that doesn't fit with any of the topics below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
kentishlady121

by kentishlady121 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:50 pm

Mouth Allergies

I keep getting ulcers in my mouth, sores and pain. I have been told it could be burning mouth syndrome by my dentist. The pain and burning at times is extremely debilitating that I do not want to get out of bed in the morning. I think I may have an allergy to food or dental procedures as it got worse when I had impressions done for partial dentures. I have had eight teeth removed because basically I was in so much pain the I thought it was coming from my teeth. The waiting list on the nhs is despicable and I could not wait to see the ear nose and throat. I have been to the hospital twice for this pain and soreness and keep getting fobbed off. Difflam mouthrinse makes it worse and predisnone steroid mouthwash gives me oral thrush. Two and a half years waiting for some one to help me.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Re: Mouth Allergies

I am so sorry to hear about your problem! The best option for you I think is to see ENT, oral surgeon or head and neck surgeon. Mouth ulcers can be very painful and there are a few potential causes, including lichen planus. Rarely mouth problems can be caused by allergies e.g. to tooth paste components (and even chocolate!) and so on, and for this reason dermatologists can do patch testing to identify relevant allergies, if there are any.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff FRCP(UK) PhD CCT(Derm) FRSM FAAD
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer
British Skin Foundation Spokesperson
Harley Street Dermatology Offices, Nuffield Health, Spire and BMI Hospitals, London, Cambridge, Bedford and Leicester

http://www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

Dr Faheem Latheef

by Dr Faheem Latheef on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 pm

Re: Mouth Allergies

Really sorry to hear about the problems you have been having in accessing help for your mouth problems which is disappointing to hear. In Leeds we have an oral medicine team based in the dental hospital where patients would generally be referred when they suffer from the problems you are experiencing as it can be helpful to have a biopsy to help confirm the diagnosis and exclude conditions like oral lichen planus that can cause the symptoms that you describe and can be caused by an allergy to dental materials used in fillings which we as Dermatologists can pick up on patch testing as Dr Alexandroff has also mentioned. Do you know if this something that your GP could refer you to somewhere near where you live? Hope you manage to get some help soon. Take care.
Dr Faheem Latheef
Consultant Dermatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer, MBCHB, MRCP (London), MRCP (Dermatology), MBA

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... atheef.php

3 posts