Problems with garlic

If you have or suspect you have a food allergy, whether it's an allergy to dairy, wheat, fish, shellfish, nuts or something else, ask our medical experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jennywren

by Jennywren on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:09 pm

Problems with garlic

I don't know if anyone on talkhealth has a problem with eating anything containing garlic but I seem to react every time I eat anything with it in. I told the asthma nurse but she said she hadn't heard of anyone with this allergy. I have other food and medication allergies alongside this. This list of things I cannot eat and medications which cause reactions quite quickly seem to be increasing. I do take cetirizine every day and use a Qvar inhaler for the mild asthma, but nothing seems to aleviate the symptoms of feeling so unwell. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Dr Sian Ludman

by Dr Sian Ludman on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Re: Problems with garlic

Hi Jennywren

Have you been to see an allergist for a full work up and review of your allergies? They might be able to take a wider view and link the different foods you are reacting to, and then offer you some dietetic input.
Dr Sian Ludman
MBBCh, DRCOG, MRCPCH, MSc Allergy, European Diploma in Allergology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ludman.php

Jennywren

by Jennywren on Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Re: Problems with garlic

Thank you Dr Lyman for your reply. My GP isn't very Interested in my allergies as they don't result in anaphylaxis or something similar. This would mean I'd have to go private which is something I can't afford. I do think an allergist would be the way to go. Thank you for the suggestion though.

3 posts