Hay fever Injections?

If you have questions about environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
alxem1985

by alxem1985 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Hay fever Injections?

I'd like a little more info on the longevity of expected relief and the proposed frequency of treatments, please?

I have heard of friends having these to good effect, but I haven't looked into it myself as yet.
Having been a chronic hayfever sufferer for 25+yrs, I think I'm at the stage where an alternative to taking medication daily during 'my season' (Apr-Oct) would be a welcome relief.

What are the major downsides (if any) to having these injections? Currently prescribed 120mg Fexofenadine on repeat which works well for 80-90% of the time, that is until we get periods of very high pollen levels when nothing seems strong enough to prevent debilitating symptoms.

Dr Sian Ludman

by Dr Sian Ludman on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:38 pm

Re: Hay fever Injections?

Hi Alexm

Immunotherapy (hay fever injections) are very efficacious in the right people. the have long lasting effects beyond the three years of treatment. There is lots of published data out there that your allergist can go through with you.

However if you are only on Fexofenadine the first thing they will do is optimise your treatment - you need nose and eye treatment as well as hayfever tablets, and only then if you are still symptomatic will you be eligible for immunotherapy.

It does sound as if you are struggling so I really would see your GP to escalate treatment.
Dr Sian Ludman
MBBCh, DRCOG, MRCPCH, MSc Allergy, European Diploma in Allergology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ludman.php

alxem1985

by alxem1985 on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Apologies, I didn't state that I was also prescribed Flixonase and eyedrops this year for the first time in many (having previously used them) and it did seem to do the trick.
I think this year will be the one to assess the overall effects and whether or not fully effective. Many thanks for the informative reply.

Dr Sian Ludman

by Dr Sian Ludman on Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Great Alexm

Make sure you use them regularly and that you have a good eye drop such as opatanol and then reassess how your season has been. If you are still having break through symptoms then definitely escalate further as immunotherapy can be really good in the right patient.
Dr Sian Ludman
MBBCh, DRCOG, MRCPCH, MSc Allergy, European Diploma in Allergology

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ludman.php

Dr Chris Rutkowski

by Dr Chris Rutkowski on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:57 pm

If you are allergic to pollen/dust and standard treatment taken regularly does not work you might benefit from immunotherapy. it can be administered as injections or sublingual tablets/drops. Both are safe and efficacious. NHS offers this treatment only if standard treatment (anithistamines, nasal steroids, eye drops) fails. Otherwise you can have it privately. Immunotherapy can 'change/improve' your immune system (i.e. stop it reacting to pollen/dust) whereas tablets/sprays only control symptoms
Dr Chris Rutkowski
Consultant Allergist, MD, MRCP

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... kowski.php

5 posts