Sun protection v vitamin D

Post your questions about skin cancer and moles here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
dannydog

by dannydog on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:26 pm

Sun protection v vitamin D

How do you balance using sunscreen to protect against skin cancer, and getting enough sun exposure to get the necessary vitamin D? I have been careful to use high factor sunscreen, moisturiser and foundation with sunscreen. Now I find that I am very low in vitamin D and need treatment from the doctor.

Dr Juber Hafiji

by Dr Juber Hafiji on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:41 am

Re: Sun protection v vitamin D

Hi there,
This is a very good question.
In the UK, Vitamin D deficiency is a problem as we don't get as much sun exposure as other countries. When the sun is out however, people can get caught out very quickly!
As a dermatologist and a skin cancer surgeon, I would recommend using minimum SPF 30 throughout the year as even in a cloudy day, UVB and UVA still come through and potentially cause DNA damage of the skin resulting in potentially developing skin cancer. Given that there has been an exponential rise of skin cancer in the UK over the last 30 years, sun protection is important.
Now comes the question of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is important not only for healthy bones but for ones general health and vitamin D deficiency has been implicated in a variety of diseases.
As you will know, for the body to be able to use vitamin D, it needs to be activated by sunshine on the skin.
Being outside for 30 mins would be sufficient to activate Vitamin D for the body to use.
Of course touch base with your GP to monitor levels and use supplements if necessary.
Hope that helps!
Dr Juber Hafiji
Dr Juber Hafiji
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson - MB ChB, FRACP, FRCP, FACMS

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... hafiji.php

2 posts