Pale Pink Patches

Post your questions about skin cancer and moles here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JustJayne01

by JustJayne01 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:28 am

Pale Pink Patches

I have fair skin and auburn hair which burns fairly easily, but I do tan. As a child I remember vividly burning until I blistered and on a couple of occasions I had sunstroke. As an adult I hardly used sun protection, in the 90s I used baby oil!
Which leads me to my problem; I'm not 58 and cover up as much as possible, sit in the shade on sunny days in the garden and use sun protection whenever I am outdoors but I have, over the past 10 years or so, developed pink/pale brown, round patches. Some are raised and swell up in the sun, others flat and dry, sometimes they itch and flake off. Should I get them checked out? I have several on my arms and legs, but one in particular on my back, just underneath my bra band that bothers me as well as one or two on my chest area (along my collarbone).
I wouldn't normally ask in a forum rather than go see my GP, but getting an appointment is like waiting for Christmas to arrive!

Dr Juber Hafiji

by Dr Juber Hafiji on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:17 am

Re: Pale Pink Patches

Hi there!
I know seeing a GP can be difficult but we that every episode of blistering sunburn, doubles your skin cancer risk. Although the description of the patches are unlikely to be worrying, with your history of sun burn, I think now would be a good time to either see your GP or a dermatologist to have a full skin check.
I have many patients who, like you, have used baby oil in their hey days. Previously, we thought that if you have sun damage in youth, then the damage is done but recent evidence has shown that if you take appropriate sun measures in later life, you do significantly reduce your risk of developing skin cancer.
The bottom line is that it's never too late!!
All the best!
Dr Juber Hafiji
Dr Juber Hafiji
Consultant Dermatologist & BSF spokesperson - MB ChB, FRACP, FRCP, FACMS

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... hafiji.php

2 posts