Strange Kidneys & Strange Pains

Post your questions about kidney health here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
purple painkiller

by purple painkiller on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:08 pm

Strange Kidneys & Strange Pains

It seems that I have something called a Horseshoe Kidney, so they're basically still connected but there is space between them. I'm on a lot of painkillers for chronic pain and I know its affecting everything. I have my usual lower back pain which fluctuates but I also have a pain on my right side of my back just under my ribs. It comes and goes, sometimes it's a sharp pain or a constant throb. I know something isn't quite right, I feel like my doctor's surgery is useless. It's like they're happy to prescribe strong meds but rarely check on things, I can't even remember the last time I had my blood pressure checked. Is something even worth trying to make an appointment for?

Mr Ken Anson

by Mr Ken Anson on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:03 pm

Re: Strange Kidneys & Strange Pains

I would explore this further. A horseshoe kidney is quite a common kidney anatomical variation that you were born with, The vast majority of patients have no problems with them but they are prone to a slightly higher risk of kidney stones and obstruction to the urine drainage than normally positioned kidneys. It maybe worth a kidney scan to exclude either of these conditions to explain your pains. It is of course that your pains are coming from other causes other than your horseshoe kidney. I hope your GP can help identify the problem for you.
Mr Ken Anson
Consultant Urological Surgeon
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _anson.php

2 posts