Log In Register

Online clinic on skin conditions - Sept 2019

British Skin Foundation raise money to fund research for cures for skin disease and skin cancer etc
Action Against Allergy (AAA) provides information, advice and support to those made chronically ill through the many different forms of allergy and those who care for them.

talkhealth > Clinics > Online Clinics Index > Online clinic on skin conditions - Sept 2019 > Other Skin Conditions

Other Skin Conditions

Moderator: talkhealth

Lichen Planus

Postby Frances489 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:13 pm

I've had lichen planus of the vulva for approximately four years now - using Dermovate and Hydromol to try to keep things under control. I was initially told by the dermatologist that it may well burn itself out after two years, but, unfortunately not. Now one of my practice nurses has told me that there is no cure and it's just a matter of managing it. I've got an appointment to see the dermatologist again next month as the rash is just constant, sometimes worse than others. Although it had cleared before the dermatologist discharged me last year, within a few weeks it was back with a vengeance. I was told to use Dermovate every day for a month, then twice a week for a month - and repeat.

Is it a lifelong condition which has to be managed? What regimen would you advise for using Dermovate regularly? Is there anything else I could do to improve things?
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: Lichen Planus

Postby Dr Andrew Thompson on Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:15 pm

Dear Frances, I hope the dermatologist that you see is able to offer a medical treatment. LP can obviously be upsetting and has the potential to effect relationships and intimacy. If it does not fully respond to treatment or waxes and wanes over time you may feel that you need additional support in managing the psychosocial aspects of the condition. If this is the case then I'd encourage you to share how the condition is impacting upon you with a specialist dermatologist or/and your GP as they may be able to refer you to a psychologist with expertise in supporting people living with skin conditions. There is also a support group forum which can be accessed from here - https://www.uklp.org.uk/
Dr Andrew Thompson
Registered Clinical and Registered Health Psychologist - DClinPsy., C.Psychol., AFBPsS., DipCAT., FHEA., BA(Hons)

User avatar
Dr Andrew Thompson
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 am

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests