general bowel discussions

Moderator: talkhealth

Junior school care for continence problems

Postby iforgott on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:05 am

My daughter is 10 years old and has encopresis. She is being treated privately by a specialist, but I am struggling with constantly being called to her school to clear up her accidents. Some are too bad to manage on her own as she has overflow accidents. I appreciate that my daughter would rather it be me than a member of staff, because of her age, but doesn't the school have a duty of care to deal with this during school hours? At present, I go to school as and when called, but I have chronic fatigue syndrome and am finding it difficult managing both our conditions at all times. Also does she need to be registered disabled for the staff to help her? Or is it all just up to me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Re: Junior school care for continence problems

Postby talkhealth on Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:25 am

Hello and sorry to read your post. It might be a good idea to talk with your GP or nurse at your local practice as they may be able to guide you in terms of registering your daughter disabled if this is possible. Or indeed your specialist as you may need a doctor/consultant letter.

Also, it would be worth contacting the Local Authority - education department as they too may be able to help.

Does your school have a school nurse? If so, it would be worth talking with her too.

It must be very frustrating, as well as exhausting, trying to deal with the issues day to day, and not having support from the school must make things feel worse.

Hope this is of help to you. Please do come back and let us know how you get on.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog -
User avatar
Posts: 878
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests