new to eczema / talkeczema

Moderators: talkhealth, StephanieJae, admin, AnnaB, Marcie Mom, Koh Ming Shao

I really need help. I've never had a flare up so severe.

Postby Ivyeczema on Fri May 11, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm very new to eczema. I started developing it around November of last year (2017) and i assumed it was because of our ridiculously dry weather. I noticed I'd only get it on my neck and on my forehead but my forehead would barely leave a mark; just some flakes and itchiness (no redness or anything). I also have it on the back of my elbows, shoulders, armpits. But it's definitely not severe eczema. Until last friday. I was outside on a VERY high pollen/allergy day and I was forced to stay outside for 2 hours. On top of sneezing, itchy eyes, my whole body had the biggest flare up I've ever seen. It's been 7 days since and my body has cleared but my ENTIRE forehead is covered in a very bright red, inflammed, painful, itchy, burning eczema rash. It literally looks like a bad sunburn. Which is impossible because it was very cloudy and I had a full face of sunscreen on so it is definitely not a sun burn. I got 3 blisters on my forehead as well and no matter what moisturizer I put on, the eczema cracks all over again and creates this hard shell texture that I end up having to wipe off (which is excruciatingly painful) it began to spread to my eyebrows yesterday and a little bit under eyebrow which is putting significant pressure on my right eye. It looks halfway shut and puffy and hurts to blink. I tried aloe which stung so bad I had to wash it off. I tried an oatmeal mask which actually really helped the itching and got some flakes off but the redness is still the same. I refuse to use my steroid medicine on my forehead. I've used jojoba oil which definitely smoothed it, but the eczema crusted over it and the oil was leaking through within an hour. I ditched school just to not be seen like this. I don't know what to do anymore. I've cried so many times and my eye and forehead is just getting worse by the second. It's so hot and red and blotchy. I've given up completely. I never want to be seen in public ever again with this on my face.
Ivyeczema

Re: I really need help. I've never had a flare up so severe.

Postby talkhealth on Fri May 11, 2018 4:09 pm

Hi Ivyeczema,

We're really sorry to hear about the problems you've been having.

First and foremost we want to remind you that you are not on your own when it comes to eczema flare ups, and while these can cause self-esteem and confidence issues, it is important to remember that there is a huge support network you can reach out to for help.

As it sounds like the severity of your eczema has rapidly increased, it would be well worth a trip to your GP. They should be able to examine your eczema and help you get the condition back under your control. While there is no one single treatment that works for everyone, your GP should be able to help you find the right course of action for you.

Once you have this flare up under control, it may be beneficial to take a look at some of our Patient Support Programmes we have. Currently we have one for dry skin open, mydryskin, which may be able to offer some support. We also have myeczemachild, which will be opening soon. Much of the content in this programme has been designed for those aged 0-17, so we hope you can find some support in that.

Dry skin: https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/psp/mydryskin.php
Eczema: https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/psp/eczema.php

Remember, you're not on your own with this. Please do let us know how you get on.
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog
talkhealth