Online clinic on bladder issues - Jun 2018

Action Bladder Cancer is a national charity working since 2009 to get bladder cancer recognised as a common cancer

talkhealth > Clinics > Online Clinics Index > Online clinic on bladder issues - Jun 2018 > catheters

catheters

Moderator: talkhealth

UTI using catheters

Postby Brownsequardsam on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:48 pm

I have spinal cord disease and difficulty with neurogenic bladder symptoms. I’ve had urodynamic investigations at Kings College Hospital where the consultant has advised using catheters, which I now have a prescription for. Unfortunately it seems every time I use them I get an infection. I am really careful about hygiene and try and make sure that I’m performing isc properly the way I was trained but I’m still really nervous about going over to isc full time. Can you give me any tips to avoid infections please? Thanks
Brownsequardsam

Re: UTI using catheters

Postby Mr Benjamin Challacombe on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:18 pm

It sounds like you are probably doing everything correctly.
Be careful not to touch the catheter on anything before it goes in
Clean the area prior to starting
Only use a catheter once
it might be worth sending your urine for culture to check there isn't ongoing UTI/colonisation
Other option is to take some preventative antibiotics for a few months, at one a day, to get you going safely
Mr Benjamin J Challacombe
Consultant Urological Surgeon and Honorary Senior Lecturer

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_benjamin_challacombe.php
Mr Benjamin Challacombe