general discussion around scars & wounds

Moderator: talkhealth

Extreme depression

Postby ArabGirl on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:03 pm

I have been experiencing nervous breakdowns due to the scar on my face. I lash out at my siblings without any provocation. I refuse to go out with my family, and if I do, I am always so self conscious and insecure. I count down the minutes until I can go back home and hide in my room. I can’t focus on anything, I cry whenever I remember how pretty I used to be and how ugly I am now. I am a 21 year old middle eastern girl and have applied to a masters program before getting the scar, but I don’t think that I am able to continue my studies because of my incessant outbursts of emotion. I realize that I have a problem, but I am too ashamed to admit that I need therapy. My parents think that if I become more religious that all of my problems will be solved. Please advise me on what I should do.
ArabGirl

Re: Extreme depression

Postby talkhealth on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi ArabGirl,

Welcome to the talkhealth forums and thank you for your post.

We are sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Depression and breakdowns as a result of scars are not uncommon and it is good that you have been able to identify these problems in the first instance. We would suggest you seek out support from your GP, they will be able to provide support and advice to help you resolve the situation.

You should not let situations like this get in the way of your own personal development and it is important to approach the situation with a trained medical professional as soon as possible.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog
talkhealth