The Urology Foundation - Men's Sexual Health

Moderator: talkhealth

Erectile problems

Postby Guest Posts on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:42 am

My husband has recently started to suffer erectile problems. It's only been a couple of weeks at present, but it's having a big emotional effect on him.

At what point should we say "this is an issue" and seek medical advice?

He's 51, and on blood pressure medication, though this hasn't been reviewed for a couple of years. Is that something that should be looked at first, or alongside any other potential causes?

Thank you, Lorraine
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor
Guest Posts
Posts: 284
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:12 pm

Re: Erectile problems

Postby Mr Oliver Kayes on Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:53 pm

The simple answer is YES! He can try a drug such as viagra to help see if this helps but he should see his GP for a basic health check including a heart check and cholesterol. If things are ok and the drugs work then he does not need to seek further help. If there is a physical issues the a referral to a urologist would be appropriate.
Mr Oliver Kayes
Consultant Urologist - MBBS MSc MD(Res) FRCS(Urol) FECSM
User avatar
Mr Oliver Kayes
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:12 pm

Re: Erectile problems

Postby Lorraine Grover on Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 pm

I would seek medical advice now. In my clinical experience a man only needs one episode of erectile dysfunction to have a negative impact and those negative thoughts we need to help change. It may not be the blood pressure medication if he has been on it a while and has only experienced erectile difficulties within the last two weeks. It would be good to check for any underlying issues that can impact on erections such as diabetes as well as reviewing his blood pressure. There are several treatments that can help with erection difficulties. I wish you both well.
User avatar
Lorraine Grover
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:11 pm

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests