Moderator: talkhealth

Assessment for counselling

Postby JuliaH on Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi there,

Where can you see a professional to be assessed to know what type of counselling is right for you but not through the NHS? There are many websites that list private counsellors but there are so many different types of therapy that it is impossible to know which is the right type. Thanks
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Re: Assessment for counselling

Postby Teyhou Smyth on Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:46 am

Hi Julia

Thanks for your interesting question. You are absolutely correct - it can be a minefield out there in terms of knowing what kind of counseling would be best for you and also confusing.

So generally speaking - before any counseling begins there is a process of assessment which takes place that is either done by the counselor personally or the organization which they are involved with. Depending on the issue and who you decide to see, the assessment will be done accordingly and is the responsibility of the counselor so I would not focus on this too much. Instead, I would focus on finding a counselor that would be a good fit for you or one that specializes in your specific issue and the assessment will follow.

This is a good resource for all your counseling requirements :
and also feel free to look at my website for my blogs on a variety of issues which you can search on:

Thank you
Teyhou Smyth
Registered Associate Marriage and Family Therapist and Registered Associate Professional Clinical Counselor
User avatar
Teyhou Smyth
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:48 am

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests