Talk Bladdertalkbladder forum

talkhealth > Forums > talkbladder > continence issues

continence issues

Moderator: talkhealth

Urinary Tract Infections and Catheter Blockages

Postby Barry Simpson on Mon May 20, 2019 2:51 pm

Between January and July 2016 I had 23 catheter blockages. Even without testing the contents of my catheter, after a while it began to look as though most of them were associated with urinary tract infections: so if my infections could be stopped, so too would the blockages. I started using Nitrofurantoin to prevent rather than to cure infections on 24th July 2016. I have had no blockage since. I took 50mg each evening for 30 days; then I gradually reduced it, and from the beginning of 2017, partially replaced it with natural antibiotics.
My catheter blockages were being caused by urinary tract infections of Staphylococcus saprophyticus and E. coli; these caused the sediment which led to the blockages. Using Nitrofurantoin as a prophylactic has controlled the bacteria and so the production of sediment to levels below that needed to cause a blockage. Although originally intended to prevent catheter blockages, it is likely that the method can also be used to control UTIs in those who do not have blockages, or even a catheter.
I have had a few occasions when I have had a limited amount of overheating which might have been minor urinary tract infections. These were accompanied by sediment in my catheter. As well as loosening the sediment by manipulating and bending my catheter, I have treated these by taking 50mg Nitrofurantoin, or for very minor overheating, lemon tea and vinegar on food. It appears that they have allowed a reduction in the dose, but in the amounts I have been taking (1/2 lemon and 30ml. vinegar per day) they would probably not be sufficient alone.
I do not know for how many others it would be suitable. If others try these methods without success, it is likely to be because their blockage was caused by a different bacterium not on the Nitrofurantoin hit-list. In such a case, it would be advisable to request an analysis of the catheter contents at the time of the blockage and then use a different antibiotic to control it.
A more detailed accounts is available at
https://livingwithacatheter.com/cathete ... y-prevent/
Barry Simpson