Bad posture not helped by sci

Please post any questions you have regarding posture here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
dancerkendo

by dancerkendo on Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:35 pm

Bad posture not helped by sci

Hi
I have bad posture, which is getting much worse and wonder if osteopathy can help? Have been having physio twice a week but no change.

I suffered spinal cord injury from trauma and have spinal atrophy. So am now paraplegic with limited core function. I always had rounded shoulders and think the spinal atrophy may have been pre-existing(?).

Background in case has a bearing..Prior to my injury, When I stood and bent to touch toes for example, My back always bent in a curve rather tyan bending from waist with straight back like some.

I find as time goes on I am getting more rounded and actually developing hump in middle of back too.
If I have enough of a ‘bucket’ (tilt) in seat of my wheelchair to be able to reach the wheels for better propulsion I find it puts me in more of a rounded position and limits me then getting over my sit bones or forward of for going up slopes. When I first got in a chair I was lot more mobile. This posture is effecting my activities, my back pain and now getting shoulder issues....suspect rotator cuff.

Also backrests are very very uncomfortable/painful...also car seat backs etc as my curvature when sitting getting worse and bones stick out.

Any comments gratefully received

Tim Allardyce

by Tim Allardyce on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: Bad posture not helped by sci

Hi Dancer Kendo,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

When you say spinal atrophy, I assume you mean the spinal muscles. It is possible for spinal muscles to atrophy, but this is unusual in a healthy person, so it is unlikely to be a pre-existing condition, and more likely to be caused since your trauma/injury. The fact that your back bent in a C-shape when you touched your toes is often due to tight hamstrings. People who can keep their back straight usually have longer hamstring muscles.

Being in a wheelchair does restrict your mobility and can lead to poor posture, if you have to alter your position to help you reach the wheels. While it is not typical for an osteopath to deal with issues such as these, some osteopaths will. So you will need to seek osteopaths who have experience with disability or wheelchair patients. That can be done via a phone call or email to the clinic.

My best advice is to mobilise as often as you can, especially in bed if possible. But you should seek professional advice on what to do. It might be worth talking to charities such as Back Up - an excellent organisation staffed by many paraplegic spinal cord trauma patients. https://www.backuptrust.org.uk/

Hope that helps, Tim
Tim Allardyce
Osteopath and spokesperson for the Institute of Osteopathy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ardyce.php

2 posts