Online clinic on skin conditions - Sept 2018

British Skin Foundation raise money to fund research for cures for skin disease and skin cancer etc
Action Against Allergy (AAA) provides information, advice and support to those made chronically ill through the many different forms of allergy and those who care for them.

talkhealth > Clinics > Online Clinics Index > Online clinic on skin conditions - Sept 2018 > Other Skin Conditions

Other Skin Conditions

Moderator: talkhealth

Sore and itchy hands

Postby Guest Posts on Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:38 pm

I have attached a picture of my hands; they are sore and itchy. What should I do to treat them?
Attachments
20180906_151832.jpg
20180906_151832.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 149 times
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor
Guest Posts

Re: Sore and itchy hands

Postby Wendy Green on Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi,

The first thing I'd recommend is washing your hands with an emollient soap substitute, rather than soap or hand wash, as these contain harsh detergents that can damage the skin barrier and irritate the skin. For more information about these please see my previous post on the topic

viewtopic.php?f=1065&t=26707#p48455

Wearing rubber gloves while cleaning and washing will also protect your hands from detergents and chemicals.

I would also recommend applying an emollient moisturising cream such as Oilatum or E45 cream frequently throughout the day.

If this doesn't settle down the soreness and itchiness you could use a small amount of 1% hydrocortisone cream, which should bring relief. After that avoiding harsh detergents and chemicals and moisturising your hands frequently should prevent further flare ups.

I hope this help.
Wendy Green