Heavy bleeding peri-menopause

Post your abnormal bleeding questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Ali99

by Ali99 on Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Heavy bleeding peri-menopause

Hi
I am 52 and peri-menopause. For the last 2 years my periods have been really heavy for the first 2 to 3 days of my period (sometimes having to set my alarm during the night to change). I don't get any period pains and other than the heavy bleeding I feel fine in myself. I did use to be fairly regular but I can often go 8 weeks without a period, but then have a period 3 weeks after that, so quite irregular now. Do I need to see my GP? I feel like I would be wasting his / her time. Should I be concerned with the heavy bleeding during the first few days of my period? or is this just part and parcel of my age?. Also, would you recommend taking any iron supplements or is this unnecessary?

Many thanks

Dr Varsha Jain

by Dr Varsha Jain on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:09 pm

Re: Heavy bleeding peri-menopause

Hi there

Thank you for your message.

A change in one's menstrual cycle, to the point where it is affecting your quality of life (i.e. having to set an alarm to get up in the middle of the night to change) is considered significant and should be investigated. At the age of 52, being peri-menopausal, it might well be a change in your hormones, but it would be extremely important to have a gynaecology review for any other possible causes of abnormal bleeding, e.g. pre-cancerous cells in the lining of the womb (endometrial hyperplasia). There are a number of conditions that cause abnormal uterine bleeding, and I think it's very important for you to have this investigated. You are not wasting your GPs time. With these investigations, as your periods have become heavier, the GP can also check your blood count and direct you as to if you need iron tablets. About a third of women have iron deficiency anaemia and do not know about it, and so investigation of your blood count in view of how your periods have changed, is also fully justifiable.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/centre-reproductive-health/hope
This website provide more information.

I hope this helps,

Varsha
Dr Varsha Jain
Wellbeing of Women Clinical Research Training Fellow

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... arsha-jain

2 posts