herbal remedies for vaginal dryness

Post your questions on menopause here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:06 pm

herbal remedies for vaginal dryness

I'd like advice about herbal remedies for vaginal dryness please.

I don't really have any other menopause symptoms other than this, maybe the odd flush now and then.

Thank you in advance

Sue
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Anita Ralph

by Anita Ralph on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:52 pm

Re: herbal remedies for vaginal dryness

Dear Sue,
Sorry to hear that you are experiencing vaginal dryness, which is a relatively common problem at menopause.
This is usually due to a lack of nourishment to the delicate tissues of the vulva and vagina, that can occur at menopause if we are a little depleted.
Medical herbalists can use herbs with a capacity to ‘tonify tissues’ to help women at this time, as an alternative to using oestrogen applied as a cream or pessary. One of our favourite herbs for this is marigold flower (Calendula officinalis).

A very safe and effective way of using marigold flowers is to make an infusion of the petals/flowerheads. Pour 200ml boiling water over a large teaspoon of dried flowers, leave to stand for 30 minutes, until completely cold. Strain through a tea strainer and collect the liquid in a clean vessel. Bathe the vagina with the cold liquid at least twice daily (morning and evening) and do not rinse off this liquid, simply pat it dry with a clean cotton towel. You can do this after a shower, while in the shower cubical, or over the toilet. Repeat daily. You can also drink a cup of this tea/infusion once per day for a few months, and that may be sufficient to improve the integrity of the tissues.

If you try this for 6-8 weeks and are still having problems, may I suggest you go to see a qualified medical herbalist who can take a detailed case history from you, and establish whether there is any other reason for your symptoms, and will be able to suggest a more complex and effective solution for you. The National Institute of Medical Herbalists has a list of qualified registered practitioners www.nimh.org.uk But I am sure you will find some benefits from using the herbs I have suggested in the meantime.
Anita Ralph
Consulting Medical Herbalist - MSc (herb med) MNIMH MCPP

https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/c ... nita-ralph

2 posts