Aargh! really puzzled as I'm not losing weight

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, CherrySencha, Kazzy

2 posts
JulesMP30

by JulesMP30 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Aargh! really puzzled as I'm not losing weight

I found, 5 weeks ago , after a routine 'well woman' clinic that I have high cholesterol and my doctor recommended statins as she said it was genes related i.e. familial.
I prefer not to take any medicines if these can be avoided and my Dr agreed I could try for 3 months to reduce my cholesterol by diet & exercise to see if it has any effect. She did not provide a recommended diet or advice though, saying I already had a healthy lifestyle and "wouldn't be able to do it". I took this to be a challenge (not sure if that was why she said it :D ) Anyway, I have managed to reduce by 2lbs but just stuck at my new weight. Looked at a carb calculator & it reckoned my intake of sugar was high, but as I've never eaten much bought, sweetened food (I prefer savouries) I can't really understand why, but feeling disheartened and would appreciate ideas. Details as follows: age - late 60s, exercise - dog taken for brisk walk 4 days per week for 50mins to an hour; Swim 3 times a week, between 500 and 600 metres breast stoke per day. No serious mobility difficulties and quite active otherwise.
Eating breakfast oats mixed (by me) with seeds, berries, nuts Morning snack mix of 16 almonds/walnuts Lunch Homemade veggie soup or reduced fat & sugar baked beans with 1 slice wholemeal bread, or similar
Snack apple, or orange or other piece of fruit
Evening fish or chicken grilled or baked (usually), potatoes, fresh green veg, tomatoes + yoghurt drink with plant stanols. + about 5 glasses of water per day. What am I doing wrong??? Help please! Thanks!

JulesMP30

by JulesMP30 on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:33 pm

Re: Aargh! really puzzled as I'm not losing weight

Oh, to complete the picture I weigh 150lbs and I'm 5'5"

2 posts