Admin - Please can you tell me why Experts are not answering

Please post your hypothyroidism questions here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

14 posts
ignored

by ignored on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Re: Admin - Please can you tell me why Experts are not answe

Well - it is the weekend now so they are free from clinical obligations on the whole. Yes, they are giving their time for free and we are grateful for that, However, this forum as I understand it is time limited. Therefore could they please put in just a little more effort this weekend? I assume they freely agreed to do this and did not have their arms twisted in any way, we can all see a huge need here so please experts, get busy and help us all out.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Hello ignored

We also realise there is a huge need too which is why we have worked so hard with NHS Choices, British Thyroid Foundation, Sense About Science and all our experts to set up this clinic.

We have also created a new topic called talking with doctors where you can perhaps air some of your non-medical concerns http://talkhealthpartnership.com/forum/ ... .php?f=194

All our experts are willing volunteers working in their spare time. We appreciate that this clinic is time-limited and talkhealth is in constant contact with the experts trying to direct them to unanswered questions in order to try to speed up the process. We therefore ask for as much patience as possible.

You may want to talk amongst yourselves - patient to patient - and to that end we've set up a patient forum that is open now and will continue to stay open after the clinic closes. You can find it by following this link http://talkhealthpartnership.com/forum/ ... .php?f=194

We are all doing our very best to help as many people as possible and air the very real concerns associated with a wide range of health conditions.

talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Mireille

by Mireille on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Thank so much... we know you are doing your best but unfortunately the answers that were given to questions answered were already known by the patient or totally incorrect.

We have many thyroid forums, and two which feature prominently are Thyroid Patient Advocacy, Thyroid UK and this is where you will find patients discuss and help each other as DOCTORS ARE NOT LISTENING TO THE PATIENTS AND THE SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE, forcing patients with no alternative but to self medicate.

Now this would be fine if the medication we need was short term but it is FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES! Hence the frustration and despair shown here as many patient know that they will not be able to fund their medication long term, and doctors will not do further investigations if a patient is self medicating to get to the route of the problem.

The lack of knowledge about thyroid disease amongst the medical profession is staggering and we a fighting for this to be rectified.

Many thyroid patients have reached the end of the road and committed suicide or receive such appalling treatment that they did not survive when they could have been treated with alternative therapies such as T3 or Natural Desiccated Thyroid.

Why is this happening in the 21st Century? Why has the UK gone so backwards in the diagnosis of this disease and failing patients miserably and even causing their deaths.

This is such a SERIOUS matter and should NOT be ignored. When a patient knows more about her/his disease than the doctor, how can patients and doctors work together. WHAT ABOUT OUR RIGHTS AS PATIENTS TO CHOOSE? We can make our own decision whether to take the so called risks that doctors cite without ever giving any SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE to confirm these risks.

This TOPIC is a serious one as my endocrinologist now wants to wean me off the medication which has saved my life, in order to do the tests I requested. HOW DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE? I will be bedridden, weak, in pain, and may even die as I have no one to care for me.

Many of us have used our life savings to fund medication that the NHS should be funding as we have paid into the system all our lives. What about the Hippocratic Oath - first do no harm?

Mireille

ignored

by ignored on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Thank you admin, I am really pleased to know that the forum will continue - but what I want is for the experts to commit to looking further into these problems and understand that so many thyroid patients are being told they are not suffering from hypothyroidism when in fact they most certainly are.

My own Endocrinologist took me off my thyroid meds last year - result? I am now really ill, have taken many steps backwards, cannot get proper medical help and am left to my own devices. I have asked a couple of medical questions and do hope that before the experts go off line they will respond.

Like so many patients on here I am in deep trouble with my thyroid and need urgent help to sort it out, that help has so far not been forthcoming from professionals at any level. I either give up and go away (as so many doctors seem to want) or I fight. Thyroid disease is under-recognised, under-treated, ignored, dismissed and complicated and the doctors have to date been happy to leave us in that state. We need some real expertise and research here, this may be an opportunity but only if those experts work with their patients and stop giving up on us.

I don't want to self-medicate, self diagnose and self treat - please give me, and other like me, a better option.

14 posts