Varying goiter, only symptom

Please post your questions about lumps and thyroid cancer here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Alixbirdy

by Alixbirdy on Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Varying goiter, only symptom

This forum thing is a great idea. My mind went blank when I saw my endocrinologist so I am hoping you maybe able to shed some light!

In Oct 2011 I noticed a lump in my throat, my GP said my thyroid was swollen and ordered blood tests and scan. I think TSH, T4 and T3 were fine. My antibody level was weakly positive and the scan showed nodules which are too small to biopsy. I think I was recovering from a slight cold when the blood was taken. The lump varies in size from being unnoticable to being annoying and this is my only symptom. My weight is normal. The endo said it was a varying autoimmune problem he would monitor me for a year with blood tests and that I did not need any treatment.

Some history in case it is relevant....Nearly two years ago I suffered a multiple trauma RTC (head injury, internal bleeding, lots of broken bones and soft tissue damage. My humeral break failed to unite and was bone grafted and went on to unite). Some of the injuries have not healed yet and might never do. My main symptom is pain but I am pretty fit and very active. Other than pain, which I am having treatment for (Amitryptaline, steroid injections and EMDR) I am fit and well. My grandmother had her thyroid removed but I am not sure why.

Is it inevitable that when I have autoimmune flare ups, that a little bit of my thyroid will be destroyed? Is it inevitable that I will become hypothyroid eventually? Considering the nodules are too small to biopsy, can cancer be completely ruled out? Are there any known triggers that cause flare ups? Could my cold explain the antibody finding? Is is possible this will just go away?

Thanks for your help!

A

Professor John Lazarus

by Professor John Lazarus on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:38 pm

Re: Varying goiter, only symptom

Nodules in the thyroid are really not too small to biopsy. Very small ones can be biopsied under ultrasound imaging.
If there has been no growth in these nodules then cancer is very unlikely.
You seem to have thyroid antibodies and be euthyroid (normal function) which is quite a common finding. It is often familial.
Cold does not initiate the presence of antibodies.
It is not inevitable that your antibodies will cause more trouble although in your situation about 5% per year may develop hypothyroidism So it s certainly good to have a yearly test .
Professor John Lazarus
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Endocrinology

Alixbirdy

by Alixbirdy on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:10 pm

Re: Varying goiter, only symptom

Thank you!

3 posts