Constant pain and period problems.

If you have any women's issues or general gynaecology questions that are not covered in any of the other gynaecology forums below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
rainbowcupcakes

by rainbowcupcakes on Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Constant pain and period problems.

I don't know if I fit in the teenager's forum or not, but I'm an 18 year old girl.

Within the past 6 months or so, I've had almost constant pain very low in my stomach, just above my pubic area. My tummy is quite swollen and I have small bleeds between my periods or bloody discharge sometimes. I had a scan but because I was in so much pain, it couldn't be done properly or something. It feels like there's a big heavy weight between my legs so it's uncomfortale to sit down. I'm a virgin but still had swabs taken for infections. I'm waiting to see someone about having a laparoscopy but I'm still really worried. I'm slightly anaemic, but always very tired.

How likely is it that the scan would pick up anything serious? And how is it best to get doctors to take your worries seriously? Gynaelogical problems including cancer run in my family but I'm worried that nobody will take how poorly I feel seriously because I'm young.

Thank you.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Re: Constant pain and period problems.

Hi

If the scan was uncomfortable I presume they were attempting an internal scan? I would at least try an external ultrasound that can be done through your abdomen.
A laparoscopy would outrule endometriosis, which could cause your pain, and infection as a cause is highly unlikely.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

rainbowcupcakes

by rainbowcupcakes on Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:40 am

Re: Constant pain and period problems.

Thank you for replying.

The ultrasound was actually external - the pain at the very lowest point was really bad, I was in tears. It felt "lumpy" and the probe passing over the "lumps" was very painful.

3 posts