Long-standing HPV

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Macskabagoly

by Macskabagoly on Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:31 pm

Long-standing HPV

Hi,
I've first been diagnosed with HPV circa 7 years ago. Since then I've had ups and downs but pretty much constantly been battling with warts. The pattern is relatively regular, one or two appears, topical treatment, everything is healed in about 3 weeks and 2-3 weeks (sometimes a bit longer) later another one appears. There were more of them and more frequently in the first year or so, since then this is more or less the pattern. There have been longer gaps but eventually something always comes back. In terms of topical treatment I've tried it all, podophyllotoxin, cryo, aldara, practically everything under the sun. They got rid of individual warts only to find new ones sometime later.
From the start and everywhere I searched it is stated that the body usually rids itself of the virus within a year or two. Clearly not the case with me unfortunately. I've been to GPs and various GUM clinics and always got the same exact answer, a shrug, treat the warts topically and eventually it will go away.
So here's the thing, if my body hasn't been able to clear it over 7 years then what exactly needs to happen for it to do it? I'm not a sports freak but I'm active, drink only in moderation, don't smoke (although ironically the longest wart-free period was 9 months when I was smoking), don't do drugs and hardly ever get sick sans the yearly common cold.
Is there anything out there that can help my immune system to work or to recognize and fight the virus? I read some stories about Cimetidine being an immune booster but no NHS doctor would prescribe it as the official NHS guidelines are Condyline and again wait for it to resolve itself.
It has been really long standing and it is starting to affect my confidence and mental wellbeing too.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Re: Long-standing HPV

Hi Macskabagoly,

Sorry to hear of your frustrating battle with warts.

The NHS say
It may take weeks or months for treatment to work, and the warts may come back. In some people the treatment does not work.

There's no cure for genital warts, but it's possible for your body to clear the virus over time.
It would seem that it's a very individual response time in clearing the virus from the body.

Hopefully others members who are in a similar position or who have fully eliminated it may be able to help you.

You could try ringing the national sexual health helpline if you would like to talk to someone about it. May be they can give you more advice or another perspective. You can call free on 0300 123 7123. Your call will be treated with sensitivity and in strict confidence. The Sexual Health Helpline is open from 9am-8pm, Monday-Friday.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts